Friday, March 6, 2009

March 6, 1955

It is a fact of life that we all have a father, but it takes a special person to be a dad.

Anyone who knows my dad knows that he is very quiet and reserved, but underneath his tough exterior is a kind and caring man. My dad loved my mom deeply; she was his world. They were married at a fairly young age and their loved blossomed over the 33, going on 34 years they were married. When I was pregnant with Evie I of course wanted to know everything about my mom’s pregnancy and delivery and my dad was always first to tell me what happened. He was so excited about having a baby, especially a little girl. Although we have not had the closest relationship, there has never been a time that I have ever doubted my father’s love. My dad has showed time and time again that he loves me unconditionally as any dad would.

When I was having Evie and the pain from my back labor was unbearable, my dad moved his chair close to me and grabbed my hand to comfort me through the contractions. It may seem like such a simple, ordinary gesture, but coming from my dad it meant the world to me. As my labor progressed and it was time to push my dad anxiously waited in the waiting room for the arrival of his granddaughter. He couldn’t wait to get in the room and hold Evie and it was clear from the beginning he was madly in love with her.

Photobucket


He adores her and cares for her in a way only a grandfather could. She lights up every time she looks at him and he has such a patient and calm demeanor with her. Every time I see him with her I get a glimpse of the love in his heart through that tough exterior.

Photobucket


We have experienced a great loss with the passing of my mother. I know I can never fill that void for him, but as I said goodbye to my mom I promised her that I would take care of him. Today, I’m simply thankful for my dad. I think we forget how lucky we are to have parents that love us and care for us because so many are not as fortunate. I recognize that I have an opportunity to begin building a deeper bond with my dad as I follow through on my promise to mom and I will return to him all of the love and devotion he showed us.

Happy Birthday, Dad.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment